Thursday, November 14, 2019

"I don’t have a problem with married priests, but I’m no liberal or modernist either": Convert-Blogger Shane Schaetzel

This is one of the best, well balanced blogs on the issue of exceptions for older, married men to be ordained Catholic priests in the Latin rite: 
Source: https://completechristianity.blog/2019/06/16/the-truth-about-married-priests/

Excerpt:
I don’t have a problem with married priests, but I’m no liberal or modernist either. I simply recognize that this is how the Western Catholic Church did things up until the 12th century, and the Eastern Catholic churches still do it this way today. Even the Western Catholic Church makes exceptions for ministers who convert from other Christian denominations. So if Pope Francis wants to open this up to various bishops conferences, and ultimately to various bishops, at their own discretion, then it’s no skin off my back. I happen to already have a married priest, because I’m a member of the Ordinariate of English Patrimony, and he seems like a fine priest to me. So with the exception of special jurisdictions, like the ordinariates, the ordination of married men into the priesthood should always be the exception to the norm in the Roman Rite. That’s because the preference for celibate priests has always been the norm in the Roman Rite, and there is no good reason why it should be any different. Jesus preferred it. St Paul preferred it. The Roman Rite of the Catholic Church can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment